The degree offered by DoMS is MBA. It is a general MBA program where the students can choose electives from different specializations viz. Marketing, HR, Finance, Operations, IT and Business Consulting during their second year of study.
2. What is the qualifying exam for admission into DoMS?
Students can apply through either CAT conducted by IIMs or JMET conducted by IITs and IISc Bangalore.
3. How many seats are on offer at DoMS?
For the batch of 2010-12 8x seats are proposed.
4. What is the eligibility criterion for admission?
The minimum academic qualifications to apply for admission to the MBA Programme at IIT Madras are as follows:
· B.E./ B.Tech. (or equivalent) with First Class (or equivalent) from a recognized Institution or University
· A Masters degree with First Class (or equivalent) in any discipline from arecognized Institution or University.
· Final year students are also eligible to apply. Such candidates, if selected, will be admitted provisionally, on the condition that they complete all requirements forthe qualifying degree before the start of the programme and produce provisional certificate of completion within two months of joining the programme.
Candidates may be sponsored by their employers to pursue an MBA at IIT Madras. Sponsored candidates should forward their application through proper channel.They must have a minimum of two years of work experience in the sponsoring organisation. These candidates must have a valid, good score in a national level entrance test such as JMET/CAT/XAT/MAT or equivalent. They will be selected on the basis of their performance in the group task and interview. Defence personnel are exempted from the national level entrance test and are encouraged to apply through proper channel.
NRIs and Foreign Nationals
NRIs and Foreign Nationals should forward their application through proper channel. They are exempted from the JMET, the interview and the group task. They will be selected on the basis of
· their GMAT score
· their academic record
· letters of reference and
· work experience, if any
5. Is there any relaxation/reservation in DoMS IIT Madras?
Relaxation in eligibility criteria and reservation are followed as per GOI rules.
6. What is the admission calendar followed by DoMS?
CAT is generally held between last week of November and first week of December, whereas JMET is conducted in the second Sunday of December. By the first week of January the results of these exams are announced and the application form for DoMS are also uploaded around the same time. Based on scores obtained by candidates a shortlist of candidates is prepared and called for GT and PI. GT/PI are generally held in months of March and April. Final admission results are announced subsequently.
7. Do I need to apply through CAT or through JMET?
A candidate can apply through either or both of their scores. After the application deadline the CAT and JMET scores are normalized and common shortlist is prepared on the basis of this normalized score.
8. I have applied through both CAT and JMET which of the two scores would be considered for short listing?
For benefit of the candidates the better of the two scores would be considered for shortlisting.
9. Are sectional scores considered for shortlisting?
For getting shortlisted you need to score a minimum in each section of JMET and/or CAT.
10. At what total and sectional score can expect to get shortlisted?
The cutoff score for getting shortlisted changes from year to year on the basis of scores of applicants.
11. What is the conversion ratio for DoMS?
Generally for every seat students are shortlisted in the ratio of 1:10 for GT/PI.
12. Does work experience help in getting a call at lower score?
At the shortlisting stage only CAT and JMET scores are considered. Your academic profile and work ex would be considered for final selection.
13. Can I get my GT/PI date and/or venue changed?
Generally we would discourage you from requesting for change of date or venue but for genuine reasons and based on administrative feasibility such a request can be considered.
14. Do we need to come to Chennai for our GT/PI?
Apart from Chennai we generally also conduct our GT/PI at Mumbai and Delhi.
15. Is any accommodation provided at GT/PI venues?
Accommodation at nominal cost can be provided at Chennai centre only. DoMS Interface Team will be sending a separate mailer for this purpose in case you opt for Chennai centre.
16. What else has to be sent alongwith application form?
Apart from the filled in application form a candidate has to attach the following:
· Rank\score card of either or both CAT and JMET
· Attested Caste certificate copy for SC\ST\PH\OBC quota candidates
· Attested copies of your academic credentials
· Any proof of work experience stated by you in the application.
· A statement of purpose as to why you want to join MBA program here.
17. What is the program fees for two year MBA program?
For MBA batch of 2010-12 the total fees (including hostel and food) should be around Rs. 3 lac (subject to change)
18. What else is considered for final selection?
The final selection will be based on
· The performance in JMET / CAT
· The performance in the interviews and the group task
· The previous academic performance
· Work experience, if any
19. How are placements in DoMS?
Beginning with the Class of 2003 until the Class of 2009 now all batches have graduated with 100% placements in reputed organizations in India and abroad (all figures are without considering the variable component of the CTC). For more details please check out the 'Student Siren' section on this page.
20. Does DoMS have any student exchange programmes?
We have an MOU with ISB Hyderabad for management Research and apart from that we have MoUs with various universities from around the world specifically those in Germany. For more details please check out the 'Student Siren' section on this page.
21. Apart from MBA what other programmes can I apply for in DoMS?
Apart from our flagship MBA programme MS- Research, MS- Entrepreneurship and PhD programmes are also offered.